Friday, 8 April 2011

Rings on the Mind

It's funny, for some reason this morning, I decided to take my engagement ring off my chain and wear it on my finger. I have to say, I do like the feeling of having such an important ring on my fourth left hand finger.

For the majority of the time that H2B and I have been engaged, I have worn the ring on my necklace because it's a bit too small for me and it was meant to be a temporary ring, until we found "the ring". Some time has passed since the initial proposal and with the costs of the wedding mounting up, I'm quite happy to have an eternity or half-eternity ring as my wedding band. We've done some initial research on this, but we don't have to buy the rings until much later this year, unless we have them made for us. So we can come back this in another post.

I just read an article on the BBC news website about husbands not wearing wedding rings. Apparently it was only just after WWII that it was commonplace for men to wear wedding bands. It made me think. My dad doesn't wear his wedding ring - I've never known him to. He once said because he's a nurse, he uses his hands a lot and couldn't wear the ring. I think that his current employers do allow plain wedding bands to be worn, but really I guess after 40 years of not wearing a ring, he's not going to change now. I don't think that wearing a ring makes a marital commitment any less important. Indeed, I don't think that  'not getting married' lessen one's commitment to one's life partner, (God, I know that H2B will mock me for using 'one').

Anyway, H2B works mostly with his hands and damages/loses things easily; for example he's had 6 mobile phones since July 2009. So we have to be practical. We'll probably get him a titanium ring as they are durable, look nice and aren't hideously expensive (considering that we may be replacing the ring quite often ;) The alternative is to follow this old trend of not wearing a ring, but I want him to wear a ring and I think that he too wants to wear a ring. Mostly I think because we want to show the world that we belong to each other.

I also recall that some husbands wear their rings on their little finger. Again, this isn't something very commonplace. It's an interesting alternative, but I also remember that husbands can usually measure their wives' ring size by placing her ring on his little finger.

I remember as a young girl, my mum telling me that I shouldn't wear a ring on my fourth left hand finger as it's for married women. So for a very long time this finger has been naked. It's no wonder that wearing a ring on this finger is very symbolic and important to me.

In the end, I think that you have to be comfortable with something that you will have for the rest of your married life. I, for one, look forward to placing the wedding band on H2B's finger and receiving my band from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment