Monday, 30 April 2012

Quinoa Burgers

Today, whilst raiding the cupboards to make my brunch, I found a packet of quinoa. I also found a courgette and lots of cheeses in the fridge. This is what I came up with.

served with tahini
They are v tasty, but next time I make this, I'll make a couple of alterations - the mixture prior to cooking was very gloopy. I think I added too many eggs and cream cheese. I added more flour to make it less gloopy, but I was worried that the flavour would be lost. That said, I've eaten 4 of them already and am happily stuffed!

Anyway, here is what I did, with notes in green.

To make 10 burgers:
Ingredients
1 cup raw quinoa
2 cups water           
2 tbl cheddar cheese, grated           
1 tbl cream cheese         I may miss this out next time   
1 tbl feta cheese, diced            
1 courgette, grated
3 eggs                           I will try with 1 next time, maybe 2
6 tbl plain flour             I started with 3 tbl, but added more to make the mixture more solid.
2 spring onions, finely diced            
fresh black pepper           
sea salt           
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp parsley            
1 clove garlic, crushed           
olive oil for frying            

Method
  1. Bring the water to the boil. Add some salt and the quinoa. Lower the heat and cover for about 10 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
  2. In the meantime, squeeze the grated courgette to remove excess juice.
  3. Mix all the ingredients together. Refrigerate for 20mins to make the patties easier to work with. 
  4. Heat some oil in a frying pan on a medium-high heat.
  5. Drop a ladleful of the mixture into the pan. I got about 4 burgers in the pan. Leave to cook for about 3 minutes and form a crust. Flip the burgers and cook for another 3-4 minutes on the other side.
  6. Put the cooked burgers on a plate covered with kitchen roll to absorb the excess oil. Repeat until all the burgers are cooked. 
waiting to be eaten

No comments:

Post a Comment